Re: adding desktop files to misc packages

Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> wrote:

> Frank Küster wrote:
>> Neil Williams <linux@codehelp.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I like Don's idea - remove the Debian menu from those window managers
>>> etc. that understand .desktop files and make the Debian menu aware
>>> of .desktop files for those other systems.
>>
>> Oh, please not.
[...]
> I actually do like Don's idea.
> The first thing I usually do, after installing KDE or Gnome is to
> disable the Debian menu in /etc/xdg/menus/(gnome,kde)-applications.menu,

Okay, as long as it can easily be configured, I see no problem in
disabling it by default.  But there should be either a prominent menu
entry which is easy to find, or a README.Debian in an obvious package.

> for all the reason already given:
> - It duplicates entries (so it's potentially confusing for novice users)

That's a point.

> - Has no i18n

That isn't an argument to remove it, but for adding i18n support to it.

> - ugly (although I agree that's subjective). No png icons for
> applications, no icons for subdirectories, which imho makes it harder to
> recognize the categories quickly.

Having no icons is probably a feature - someone else said in this thread
that the icons are the reason for slow menus.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX/TeXLive)