Re: adding desktop files to misc packages

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 14:36:47 +0200
Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:

> Le vendredi 13 juillet 2007 à 18:34 -0400, Joey Hess a écrit :
> > > I can't find anything in the Debian menu which is neither already in the
> > > GNOME menu at a better place, or simply completely unsuitable for a
> > > graphical menu.
> >
> > If that's actually true, we could drop menu from the gnome-desktop and
> > kde-destkop tasks. (What about XFCE?)
>
> I wouldn't speak for KDE, but after this discussion, I'd recommend
> dropping it from the gnome-desktop task.

It makes me wonder if there is any point keeping debian/menu at all.

Why not drop the Debian Menu Policy completely? The only sane argument
against .desktop is hierarchy support but then the most pertinent
complaint against menu is that the hierarchy is wasteful.

What we'd need would be strong guidelines on which packages provide
a .desktop file and leave it at that.

I'm wondering about removing the menu package from my own machines -
they all run Gnome and the only problem I can see right now is that
dwww depends on menu. If that can be downgraded to a Recommend (I feel
a wishlist bug coming on) then I'll gladly remove the 'menu' package.

True, that means I cannot check debian/menu entries in packages that I
build but I'm willing to trust lintian for that or maybe keep one
machine using 'menu' for now.

Is that such a problem?

> There seem to be a strong opposition to any proposal willing to fix the
> Debian menu. People will all want to keep their pet useless entry in the
> menu, and forcing them to migrate to another system will just lead to
> the same clutter in the new menu. It will be too difficult to make the
> project move as a whole in the same direction. We GNOME people focus on
> usability, and this goal seems incompatible with some other developers'
> will. I have seen how hard it is to make people fix their crappy debconf
> questions, and at least in this case the debconf and d-i developers
> could act as a central authority.

If all Gnome packages silently drop debian/menu in the next upload, is
that actually going to be a problem for anyone?

--

Neil Williams