Re: adding desktop files to misc packages

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007, Sam Hocevar wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 15, 2007, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 15, 2007 at 09:56:42PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > > The way Debian works is that developers have the final word on what
> > > happens in their packages.
> >
> > No, the way Debian works is that we have this little thing called Policy
> > that's intended to ensure consistency between packages in the distribution
> > so that the system works as a cohesive whole instead of being fragmented
> > as a result of pigheadedness on the part of individual developers who think
> > they know better than everybody else, and this other little thing called the
> > Technical Committee to enforce Policy.
>
>    Sorry to interrupt, but the way Debian works is that we have this
> other thing called the Social Contract that says we do what our users
> want. Not directed at you, Steve, but it looks like most of this thread
> is slowly losing track of it.

Granted.

And at least to me it's pretty clear that the proper course of action is
replace "menu" files by "dekstop" files. Modify the menu package to use
desktop file as input and continue to use the menu package for software
which are not able to handle "desktop" file natively.

It looks like the fd.o desktop files have all the features needed to
express the various things that we need:
- indicate if it's a console or graphical application
- etc.

Then the gnome menu can filter out console applications and the menu of window
managers used by advanced users can have the full list.

Yes, it's probably some non-trivial work. And the behaviour of Josselin is
not really constructive in that regard. Because he cares only about
Gnome/KDE/Xfce, he doesn't want to fix the menu package himself. It's his
right, but then he should also acknowledge what is the proper course of
action for the project and encourage people to go in that direction
instead of throwing accusations and telling everybody how horrible the
Debian menu is.

Yes, the Debian menu is problematic in the Gnome environment:
- it confuses people
- it's sometimes regenerated in english when you install new
  packages after the initial installation
- i even saw him with only two sub menus (the apps one having
  disappeared among others)

(No I haven't bothered to check if those bugs are already reported or
not)

I completely understand the will to have that menu disappear in the Gnome
environment.

Bill, you haven't participated in this discussion, what's your opinion?
Would you like to do that work?

Would it be helpful to have the technical committee decide on this
topic?

Cheers,
--
Raphaës Hertzog