Re: adding desktop files to misc packages

Le dimanche 15 juillet 2007 à 11:24 -0500, Manoj Srivastava a écrit :
>         This sounds fairly combative; and it also begins to sound
>  divisive (the GNOME people, keepers of usability, vs all the useless
>  users who do not use desktop systems). I hope I am misreading the
>  attitude.

This is your own interpretation. I understand from the discussion that
some people are strongly opposed to the changes that are required to
make the Debian menu more usable. I don't want to count people but it
sounds pointless to start a fight against a number of developers when we
can just ignore them and let them use an obsolete menu system if they
want to.

> > As a consequence, this will duplicate the work, but I think we should
> > add .desktop entries to packages, especially games, that don't have
> > one and deserve it.
>
>         You will, of course, have to convince maintainers of the fames
>  (I have a couple of my own) to do so; and I, for one, would like to
>  support as many users as I can, not just my pet enlightened ones that
>  use GNOME.

Simple: to support GNOME/KDE/XFCE users, you can include a .desktop
file. To support other users, you can include a .menu file. Both can
coexist safely.

>         Given that, I would like to see more of the proposals about
>  perhaps translating menu/desktop.org entries into the other format, so
>  that we do not drop users of window managers that do not follow the
>  desktop.org menu entries out in the cold.

I will be happy to see such a thing if it allows to remove all the .menu
files from the GNOME packages. I will not if it starts being used as an
excuse to add thousands of useless entries in the menu.

--
 .''`.