Re: adding desktop files to misc packages

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 14:36:47 +0200, Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> said:

> There seem to be a strong opposition to any proposal willing to fix
> the Debian menu. People will all want to keep their pet useless entry
> in the menu, and forcing them to migrate to another system will just
> lead to the same clutter in the new menu. It will be too difficult to
> make the project move as a whole in the same direction. We GNOME
> people focus on usability, and this goal seems incompatible with some
> other developers' will. I have seen how hard it is to make people fix
> their crappy debconf questions, and at least in this case the debconf
> and d-i developers could act as a central authority.

        This sounds fairly combative; and it also begins to sound
 divisive (the GNOME people, keepers of usability, vs all the useless
 users who do not use desktop systems). I hope I am misreading the
 attitude.

> There are more constructive things to do than fighting for years to
> improve the Debian menu situation; I think we should just let it die,
> and let people who want to work on a dead system continue if they want
> to.

> As a consequence, this will duplicate the work, but I think we should
> add .desktop entries to packages, especially games, that don't have
> one and deserve it.

        You will, of course, have to convince maintainers of the fames
 (I have a couple of my own) to do so; and I, for one, would like to
 support as many users as I can, not just my pet enlightened ones that
 use GNOME.

        Given that, I would like to see more of the proposals about
 perhaps translating menu/desktop.org entries into the other format, so
 that we do not drop users of window managers that do not follow the
 desktop.org menu entries out in the cold.

        manoj
--
Nothing succeeds like the appearance of success. Christopher Lascl