Re: adding desktop files to misc packages

Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> writes:

> IMO the Debian menu should be entirely deprecated unless something
> serious is done about it. Currently:

>       * It is utterly and absolutely ugly. 32x32 XPM icons are not
>         matching the graphic quality we have on the rest of the desktop.

This seems like a reasonable complaint to me.

>       * Its structure is impractical. Most important things are in
>         Applications/, which adds a menu level with no use, and several
>         submenus are useless.

Switching to .desktop files doesn't inherently fix this.  We still have to
figure out a coherent structure.  I assume you're aware of the work
currently going on to restructure the menu hierarchy.

>       * Most importantly, it is absolutely full of useless stuff.

Well, neither Policy nor Menu Policy offers any guidance on what should
have a menu entry and what shouldn't, so this isn't surprising.  Switching
to .desktop files won't fix this either if people create .desktop files
for all the things you don't think should have them.

It seems to me like a productive way forward on this point would be to
develop a policy on what should have menu entries and what shouldn't and
add that policy to the existing Menu Policy document.

Otherwise, packagers of new shells, for example, will look at existing
shell packages, see a menu entry, and assume they should add one in the
absence of guidance otherwise.