Re: adding desktop files to misc packages

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 18:34:05 -0400, Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> said:
>On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 23:43:56 +0200, Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> said:

>> The Freedesktop.org menu is not meant to be limited to GNOME and KDE
>> components.

        True enough.  But my window manager, for one, does not
 understand Freedesktop.org menu  items, so what it is meant to be, and
 what exists for users like me, is not the same.

>> IMO the Debian menu should be entirely deprecated unless something
>> serious is done about it. Currently:

> Well, I'm not particularly arguing against that. I am, however, asking
> that if we decide to do it, we _decide_ and then _do_it_.

        Every window manager in Debian understands the Debian menu; and
 this uniform acceptance is the primary reason, in my opinion, to not
 deprecate the Debian menu system until we can replicate the
 functionality.

>>       * It is utterly and absolutely ugly. 32x32 XPM icons are not
>>         matching the graphic quality we have on the rest of the
>>         desktop.

        While aesthetics are important, a regression in functionality
 cannot make up for pretty interfaces.

>>       * Most importantly, it is absolutely full of useless stuff.

        If every package that currently provides a menu entry provided a
 Freedesktop.org menu entry, this shall not change.

>> Why do we need a menu entry for each shell ? A user who wants another
>> shell is most probably capable of running it himself.

> Granted.

        Hmm. I would think just about any application that can be
 launched from a menu can be launched from the command line; so I am
 missing something in this line of argument.

> Apart from a few games (see the initial request you were faced with),
> I can't find anything in the Debian menu which is neither already in
> the GNOME menu at a better place, or simply completely unsuitable for
> a graphical menu.

        Which is wonderful, if Debian were to only support Gnome in a
 windowing environment.

        manoj
--
There is no sin but ignorance. Christopher Marlowe