Re: Results for General Resolution: Altering package upload rules

On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 09:05:10PM +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> Lars Wirzenius <liw@liw.iki.fi> writes:

> > > developers, "General Resolution: Altering package upload rules" has
> > > carried the day.
> > >
> > > Please forgive me if this is a stupid question, but how can there
> > > be more votes than voters?
> >
> > As far as I know: multiple votes from the same voter are allowed,
> > the latest one received is counted.
>
> That's just it: if what you say is the explanation, then *more than*
> "the latest one received" is counted.
>
> If it's not counted, why is it counted (i.e. appearing in the count of
> votes)?

There are three counts as far as I can see:

Total number of votes received

Total number of votes which pass GPG validation and syntax checks

Then,

Total number of valid votes which form the basis for the final
count - here, latest counts as most authoritative
[I can change my mind at any time during the voting period and the
process only takes account of the vote at the close of the period.
There is no "I revoke my previous vote, here is my latest vote" flag
so it is necessary to supersede each previous vote by the latest signed
vote that appears to be valid: the one left at the close of the voting
period must be taken as being the final intention and it simplifies
disputes into time order - "latest signed valid vote received is it"].

E.g. If I send in 18 votes, 17 of which are properly GPG signed:

Votes received ++18

Valid signed votes ++17

Total valid vote count for the vote ++1 - the last I sent in.

If I change my mind 20 times, it can appear there were 20x as many
developers (signed votes goes up) but I only get one vote that counts.

Andy