Re: co-mentor for a GSoC proposal wanted: debbugs web submission

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007, Bastian Venthur wrote:
> I know this is gonna be flamed down, but I'm feelin' brave today so
> let's try it anyway:
>      4) put an reportbug-ng icon on the desktop by default on every
>         fresh installation
> I know this smells like the classic AOL-Button on every Windows-Desktop,
> but with our *users* in mind, it might be worth a try -- post-etch of
> course and when reportbug-ng is stable enough.

 While I wouldn't go as far as adding a permanent "there are bugs in
 your operating system" icon on the desktop, I agree reportbug(-ng) is
 not visible enough for newcomers.  Concerning GNOME, the bug-buddy tool
 is not visible in any menu by default, but pops up when an application
 crashes (and a SIGSEGV is caught).  I think we lack some integration in
 this area, there is definitely room for improvement such as collecting
 package versions, or sending bug-buddy reports to a .debian.org gateway
 (which may simply forward them upstream but collect some stats for us
 for example).

 Concerning visibility, Ubuntu does something very Windowish and I find
 the feature great: you get a welcome screen in the default GNOME you
 get after the installation.  This seems to be a kind of mini-help
 center, a short presentation of Ubuntu.  It's nice and polished, and I
 think this where we must be passing our messages, one of them being
 "hey, help us improve Debian by submitting good bugs".

--
Loïc Minier