Re: co-mentor for a GSoC proposal wanted: debbugs web submission

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007, Steve Langasek wrote:

I (continue to) object to the notion of web-based submission of bugs to
Debian.  Do you really think that someone who can't maneuver reportbug is
capable of submitting a useful bug report?

IMHO the biggest problem of reportbug is that it is not announced in the
end of the install process.  I have seen so many (even skilled) Debian
users who were not aware that there is something like reportbug.  IMHO
this definitely has to be advertised at at least one of the following
places:

   1) d-i before reboot.
   2) When you leave aptitude and other package management tools
      or in a footline of these tools.
   3) It is in fortunes-debian-hints, which is great, but there
      is no recomendation to install fortunes-debian-hints anywhere.

I do not think that reportbug is to complicated (even if a GUI might
not really harm) but the knowledge about this bug reporting tool is
not spreaded wide enough.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--