Re: On maintainers not responding to bugs

Le Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 02:19:17PM +0100, Pierre Habouzit a écrit :

>   The mail you are answering to was against forums, not really against
>   the BTS btw.

Bonsoir Pierre,

I have lurked a bit on the ubuntu forums, and found "intersting"
threads. For instance, some persons wrote about doing a sort of medical
Ubuntu project, and then realised that debian-med was alive, and wrote
at the end of the thread that being less people with less experience,
they could not do better than us.

The conclusion I took after reading this is that there are people (often
young) eager to find a niche in which they can be leaders (this is also
how I interpreted one of your previous email). The question is wether we
should try to attract them, and if yes, where and how. Maybe having a
way to quantitatively evaluate bug triaging and giving conditional
access to some reward could for instance motivate untrained persons to
contribute ? The reward can be as simple as using the score to provide
some social status on communauty websites. For instance, in the forums
of Ubuntu, people have more or less brown coffee grains (to suggest that
they are stronger ?).

I have tried a few fishing experiments when Google brought me on places
dealing with free medical or bioinformatical software, and I have to
admit that for the moment my fish basket is empty. But if it is in
forums and other platforms which we deem sub-optimal there that people
who have energy to spend are, isn't it where Debian should go if it
wants to increase its manpower ? I will continue to do opportunistic
fishing for a while...

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy