Re: On maintainers not responding to bugs

On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 05:35:43PM +0000, Jon Dowland wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 07:07:33PM +0100, Mike Hommey wrote:
> > Now, the iceape case is interesting: *you* (as in, the one
> > complaining about rotting bugs) are also allowed to help
> > the maintainers instead of whining.
>
> One very positive thing from this thread is the number of
> packages / teams that are openly admitting that there is a
> manpower problem.

  wow, I'm really amazed. For the KDE and Gnome teams (and I'm sure
others did it as well) there was mails requesting help to triage bugs
and so on (from january 2006). Reading this thread could let people
believe that those teams neved did that, and always denied they needed
help. Well, sorry if I don't like the sound of that, but I really don't
because it's at the antipodes of the reality.

> I think that there is an untapped pool of people who could
> help a lot with the triage work, but the question is, where
> do they start?

  Like every packaging team in debian, mailing the pkg-$team@l.a.d.o or
debian-$team@l.d.o depending on how old the team is. Usually that list
is in the Maintainer or Uploaders field of the control file.
#debian-$team is also a good place to look. Those things are _obvious_.

> How do they know that they are welcome to
> start responding to a given packages bugs with some kind of
> analysis?

  Well, you don't need to be a developer neither a regular contributor
to do that, don't hide behind false excuses.

> One way is the existing wnpp system.
> <http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/help_requested> lists
> packages which have RFH filed. This list is very short and
> doesn't seem to include the examples which have been put
> forward in this thread at all.
>
> For such packages, where triage would be needed, would it
> not make sense to file an RFH bug to that effect?

  The mails I alluded to earlier (to seek for help) have seen (at least
for the KDE guys, I'll let the Gnome guys tell you how it worked for
them) 0 answer. My experience is that RFH bugs works well when Norbert
put it on vim to ask for co-maitenance or such very interesting software
to package. But when the job is to deal with KDE bugs, there is really
less people eager to do the job.

  Again, I do not appreciate the latent criticism of the big teams to
hide their understaff problem. It's blatantly bogus hence iritating,
almost insulting.

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit