Re: On maintainers not responding to bugs

Le Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 07:48:01PM +0100, Pierre Habouzit a écrit :

>   Like every packaging team in debian, mailing the pkg-$team@l.a.d.o or
> debian-$team@l.d.o depending on how old the team is. Usually that list
> is in the Maintainer or Uploaders field of the control file.
> #debian-$team is also a good place to look. Those things are _obvious_.

Hi all,

I sometimes look over the fence to see how our neighbour does, and it
seems to me that the way they recruit helpful people is through
communication channels which does not require ab-initio knowkedge of
their internal organisation. There are forums and mailing lists, and
also they have a welcome gift for people who start to contribute, a
shiny @ubuntu.com email alias.

I have witnessed a period of activity on ubuntu-science, and clearly
there are pros and cons on getting the help of newcommers. One one hand
the work is done, but on the other, you can not expect its quality to be
the same as what a DD with 10 years of experience would do. For
instance, many .desktop files were created, icons were added, and
licence of icons were not checked.

So to generalise, it seems that there is the choice between seeing
repetitive work done imperfectly by beginners, or never done by
experienced people who are busy doing something else. Definitely the way
the contributors are supervised can raise the quality strongly.

In the end, there has been a lot of talk to judge wether some teams
accept or refuse help, but in my opinion, a more relevant question is
why the help is not coming to those who ask for it. Obvously, one answer
can be that help is not asked the most efficient way. For instance, irc
is an very unfriendly communication channel, and even mailing-lists are
somewhat unpopular among a broad category of internauts, who prefer
forums.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy