Re: edit patches in dpkg configuration file dialog

Hey,
* sean finney <seanius@debian.org> [2007-03-05 20:00]:
> On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 19:23 +0100, Nico Golde wrote:
> > > would be to see the differences between the new maintainer conffile and
> > > the previous version of the maintainer conffile.
> > >
> > > to implement this, one would simply need to keep a copy of
> > > dpkg-installed conffiles in some directory hierarchy under /var/lib/dpkg
> > > and provide a new option to diff this old version against the
> > > newly-unpacked-but-not-installed version of the conffile.
> >
> > I am not sure if I get your idea 100% correctly but what
> > about the user changes if you just look at the old and the
> > new maintainer version of the config file?
>
> this wouldn't be for merging or anything, simply seing what the cause of
> the prompt was in the first place.  say i've made 500 different changes
> to my apache.conf, and then in the next version the maintainer makes
> some random change to the conffile.  it'd be nice to be able to see the
> what the change was isolated by itself, without all the noise from my
> local changes.

Ah I get your point. Yes also another nice idea even if this
would not fix my problem then :)

> anyway, good luck waking up the sleeping dpkg monster.

Sleeping is good, the first bug mentioning the need of a
merge functionality is 8 years old...
I can not really understand this since we build up on tools
like dpkg in apt, aptitude etc.

Also one of the arguments for debian was always it's package
system and during some conversation at CLT 2007 about this
feature I heard that gentoo and freebsd support some similar
features since some time.
Kind regards
Nico
--