Re: edit patches in dpkg configuration file dialog

just to throw in my $0.02,

On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 18:43 +0100, Bastian Venthur wrote:
> I haven't tested your patch, but I like the general idea.
>
> A good example is exim4. Where I have greylistd installed and configured
> it to allow SSL connections. Every once in a while exim gets an update
> with some changes in it's config. I'd like to take this changes but
> still want to keep my own settings.
>
> So I support your Idea and hope it will make it's way into dpkg.

i think what would be even easier to implement (and perhaps as useful)
would be to see the differences between the new maintainer conffile and
the previous version of the maintainer conffile.

to implement this, one would simply need to keep a copy of
dpkg-installed conffiles in some directory hierarchy under /var/lib/dpkg
and provide a new option to diff this old version against the
newly-unpacked-but-not-installed version of the conffile.

	sean