Re: edit patches in dpkg configuration file dialog

On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 19:23 +0100, Nico Golde wrote:

> The implementation was not really difficult, the patch file
> itself is 200 lines alltogether.

not bad :) i have to admit i haven't looked at the patch.

> > would be to see the differences between the new maintainer conffile and
> > the previous version of the maintainer conffile.
> >
> > to implement this, one would simply need to keep a copy of
> > dpkg-installed conffiles in some directory hierarchy under /var/lib/dpkg
> > and provide a new option to diff this old version against the
> > newly-unpacked-but-not-installed version of the conffile.
>
> I am not sure if I get your idea 100% correctly but what
> about the user changes if you just look at the old and the
> new maintainer version of the config file?

this wouldn't be for merging or anything, simply seing what the cause of
the prompt was in the first place.  say i've made 500 different changes
to my apache.conf, and then in the next version the maintainer makes
some random change to the conffile.  it'd be nice to be able to see the
what the change was isolated by itself, without all the noise from my
local changes.

anyway, good luck waking up the sleeping dpkg monster.

	sean