Re: edit patches in dpkg configuration file dialog

Hi,
* sean finney <seanius@debian.org> [2007-03-05 19:07]:
> just to throw in my $0.02,
>
> On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 18:43 +0100, Bastian Venthur wrote:
> > I haven't tested your patch, but I like the general idea.
> >
> > A good example is exim4. Where I have greylistd installed and configured
> > it to allow SSL connections. Every once in a while exim gets an update
> > with some changes in it's config. I'd like to take this changes but
> > still want to keep my own settings.
> >
> > So I support your Idea and hope it will make it's way into dpkg.
>
> i think what would be even easier to implement (and perhaps as useful)

The implementation was not really difficult, the patch file
itself is 200 lines alltogether.

> would be to see the differences between the new maintainer conffile and
> the previous version of the maintainer conffile.
>
> to implement this, one would simply need to keep a copy of
> dpkg-installed conffiles in some directory hierarchy under /var/lib/dpkg
> and provide a new option to diff this old version against the
> newly-unpacked-but-not-installed version of the conffile.

I am not sure if I get your idea 100% correctly but what
about the user changes if you just look at the old and the
new maintainer version of the config file?
Kind regards
Nico
--
Nico Golde - http://www.ngolde.de