Re: edit patches in dpkg configuration file dialog

Nico Golde schrieb:
> what about the following idea.
> If a configuration file is marked as conffile in a package
> you have the possibility to select between:
>
> - Install the new version of the configuration file from the
>   package
> - Keep your current installed version of the file
> - View the differences

[...]

> What about the possibility to view the patch, edit it with
> your favorite editor and the just apply the patch?
> This way you don't have to do all the manual stuff after
> installing the packages and you don't miss new configuration
> flags.

[...]

> What do you think?

I haven't tested your patch, but I like the general idea.

A good example is exim4. Where I have greylistd installed and configured
it to allow SSL connections. Every once in a while exim gets an update
with some changes in it's config. I'd like to take this changes but
still want to keep my own settings.

So I support your Idea and hope it will make it's way into dpkg.

Cheers,

Bastian

--
Bastian Venthur                                      http://venthur.de
Debian Developer                                 venthur at debian org