Re: Etch Software RAID Upgrade Trouble & Suggested Installer Improvements

also sprach Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> [2007.01.08.2239 +0100]:
> Sure, there is a RAID superblock that can be used for such things.  However
> doing so without a partition type is a little more risky.  A common practice
> on PC hardware is to change the partition type to prevent the system boot
> process from automatically activating a RAID set.

... which will only happen if you have md compiled into the kernel.
If you use modules, the kernel never starts arrays unless mdadm
tells it to.

NP: OSI / Free