Re: Etch Software RAID Upgrade Trouble & Suggested Installer Improvements

On Tuesday 09 January 2007 00:36, "Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@connexer.com>
wrote:
> > Are there any platforms other than i386, AMD64, and IA64 that support the
> > partition type number?
>
> Not sure.  Is there not some magic number associated with different
> partition types?  I don't mean like you find on the standard PC hard
> drive partition table.  I mean by looking at the first few bytes of the
> partition.  Something similar to looking at the first few bytes of a
> file to identify its MIME type.

Sure, there is a RAID superblock that can be used for such things.  However
doing so without a partition type is a little more risky.  A common practice
on PC hardware is to change the partition type to prevent the system boot
process from automatically activating a RAID set.

--
russell@coker.com.au
http://etbe.blogspot.com/          My Blog

http://www.coker.com.au/sponsorship.html Sponsoring Free Software development