Re: Etch Software RAID Upgrade Trouble & Suggested Installer Improvements

On Monday 08 January 2007 20:57, martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> wrote:
> also sprach Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> [2007.01.08.0007 +0100]:
> > Is there any technical reason why busybox could not have such
> > functionality?  If not I'll file a bug report (and I'll write the
> > code if I ever have spare time).
>
> Why busybox and not just mdassemble, which is a stripped version of
> mdadm?

Where do I find this mdassemble?  A grep of Contents-i386.gz gives:
usr/bin/mdassembler                                         devel/monodoc-base

I doubt that is what you refer to.

mdassemble would be good, but having it linked to busybox would be better.
Having dynamically linked binaries in the initramfs causes a lot of disk
space to be used by libc.  Having two statically linked binaries means two
copies of common libc code (EG printf).

--
russell@coker.com.au
http://etbe.blogspot.com/          My Blog