Re: etch's upgrades during life cycle

Qui, 2007-01-04 às 11:10 +0000, Dominic Hargreaves escreveu:
> On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 11:00:16AM +0000, Paul Waring wrote:
>
> > I think the problem that many people find with Debian is that they do
> > want the stability and security of stable, but at the same time they
> > don't want to be a dozen releases behind upstream. I've seen many
> > occasions where there's been a new release with useful features that has
> > been available in upstream for months and it's still not in Debian
> > stable, even though it is available in the package repositories of other
> > Linux distributions. It's not so much a case of wanting to be on the
> > bleeding edge for most people, but more that we don't want to still be
> > powering our machines with crank handles when everyone else has moved on
> > to electricity.
>
> backports.org is, to my mind, a perfect solution to this problem; it
> allows you to selectively upgrade your favourite/important packages that
> you need, whilst retaining the stable base on which to run them.

here i agree that backports.org is the way out and that should be
official so maintainers could upload backports in a easier and have a
better security support. (and gives users other view for it if
backports.org is indeed in debian and recommended by debian.)

> One proviso I would add to that is that it's only good so long as it
> doesn't move too much focus away from Debian's own stable releases. I
> can't see any evidence of that at present. It's also possibly the case
> that backports.org could/should made more official or at least offically
> recommended by Debian, although I understand why this isn't necessarily
> the case right now.
>
> However, the original question was about hardware support, which is a
> rather special case. I've spent many frustrated hours getting Debian
> stable onto modern hardware using various tricks and hacks, and I'm sure
> anyone running Debian extensively in production has had similar
> experiences. This is one area where an official updated installer and
> kernel would greatly improve life, and I'm very interested by Moritz's
> comment that this is planned for etch.

oh yeah ... in the woody time, i was save by a d-i rc1, installing new
hp proliants.