Re: db.debian.org (and related infrastructure) updates

On Tue, 2 Jan 2007, Matthias Julius wrote:

> Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> writes:
>
> > Moreover, if you send a message using a real smtp server, and its IP
> > is listed in a DNSBL I use, you will receive a message from
> > mailer-daemon saying so. This may and will surely happen, hopefully
> > not often, but IMHO it's better than the message arriving to a spam
> > folder which is so big that it will never be read.
>
> Are you saying, that your server is sending a notification mail to the
> From address of mails that have been classified as spam?

A notification is sent, but it's not master.debian.org who sends it
but your SMTP server.

If your SMTP server is listed in a DNSBL which I told db.debian.org
to use for my debian.org email and you try to send me a message,
then master will say "I don't accept this message" to your SMTP
server, and your SMTP server, in turn, will send you the usual
mailer-daemon message saying "Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender".

I was comparing the previous scenario with the current one. The risk
of missing an email because of it being lost inside a very big spam
folder is now very low. This is one of the reasons rejecting a lot of
email at SMTP time and filtering the rest (what we can do now) is
usually better than not rejecting anything at all and trying to "filter"
everything afterwards.