Re: On including 64-bit libs in 32-bit packages (see #344104)

Matthew Garrett wrote:
> Bill Allombert <ballombe@master.debian.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 07:30:47PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>>> Bear in mind that the 64-bit kernel doesn't offer all the functionality
>>> that the 32-bit one does. vm86 is the most obvious thing missing.
>> and it seems a 64-bit kernel needs a 64-bit iptables.
>
> Yes, applications with close ties to the kernel are likely to be a
> problem. Last time I checked USB printers didn't work either. It's
> possible that it'll be a supportable configuration in the future, but we
> may well have flying cars by then.
No flying cars needed -- at least for the iptables/netfilter part.
2.6.17 and newer (64-bit) kernels[1] work fine with 32-bit iptables.
This is not a problem for etch -- sarge OTOH had that problem and yet we
shipped 64-bit kernels.

1:
http://kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=2722971cbe831117686039d5c334f2c0f560be13