Re: Moving /var/run to a tmpfs?

> It is also clear that this is how many maintainers have understood it,
> because as you yourself have noticed, there are many packages that
> assume they can ship directories in /var/run and have them remain
> available after reboot. :)

I think it's more likely that the average maintainer just never thought
about the issue, and did what they did because "it works".

I.e. the same reason many people used to assume int was 32 bits.  When
64-bit processors became common, lots of programs broke.  The solution
to that was to educate programmers to be more careful and assume less,
not to retroactively add silly restrictions to the definition of int.

-miles
--
Any man who is a triangle, has thee right, when in Cartesian Space, to
have angles, which when summed, come to know more, nor no less, than