Re: Problem sending to Alioth lists?

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 08:59:21AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

>> accessible mail server.  The point is that I only experience this
>> problem with Alioth and SourceForge lists, where they use braindead call
>> back mechanism to try and reach the host that originated the message.

> I'm an Alioth administrator. If you expect help from us, you'd
> better not say that our configuration is "braindead".

On the other hand, I already tried to discuss that problem with you
guys (alioth admin team) in May 2006; nothing really came out of
it. Wichert questioned that it was a problem at all, I (tried to)
explain why it was a problem, nothing further happened.

More testing suggests that costa is behind a firewall that _very_
severely curtails ICMP; I cannot ping any host from costa (although I
can reach them alright over TCP). The fact that costa does not
ICMP-reply "port unreachable" (or TCP-reset) on rfc1413 TCP
connections creates delays that make your sender callback fail for no
good reason when dealing with hosts that do rfc1413 callbacks with a
timeout bigger than your callback timeout.

--
Lionel