Re: Problem sending to Alioth lists?

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 02:18:12AM +0100, Stephen Gran wrote:
> This one time, at band camp, Roberto C. Sanchez said:
> > Is the mailing list software on Alioth broken or misconfigured?  If I
> > send from any host on my network other than the one which happens to be
> > the mail server, I get this error when I send to an Alioth list:
> >
> > Aug 27 17:26:48 santiago postfix/smtp[23682]: 4A8002403D:
> > to=<pkg-cyrus-sasl2-debian-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>,
> > relay=lists.alioth.debian.org[192.25.206.28], delay=21, status=deferred
> > (host lists.alioth.debian.org[192.25.206.28] said:
> > 451 Could not complete sender verify callout (in reply to RCPT TO
> > command))
> >
> > Could someone confirm if there is a problem here?  It is rather annoying
> > to have to login to a specific machine in order to send mail to Alioth.
>
> What the message suggests to me is that the other machines in your
> domain should be using address rewriting if they are sending from
> unroutable addresses.

Except that there are multiple domains hosted from my network.  Which
should I use?  BTW, this occurs even from hosts which have publicly
routable IP addresses, probably because they are not running a publicly
accessible mail server.  The point is that I only experience this
problem with Alioth and SourceForge lists, where they use braindead call
back mechanism to try and reach the host that originated the message.
Since I am using mutt and I simply have postfix set to use a smarthost,
which does have a publicly accesible postfix running.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,

-Roberto

--