Re: Problem sending to Alioth lists?

On 8/28/06, Roberto C. Sanchez <roberto@familiasanchez.net> wrote:
No offense, but that is completely non-scalable.  That only works for a
small number of users which does not change frequently.  Anyhow, thanks
to 'Dato, I seem to have been able to convince mutt to play nicer with
your mail server.

Yeah. Other options include allowing users to create a file in their
homedir which gives their real email address.

However, the easiest in my experience is to do what in exim is called
"qualify_domain". When it gets a mail to send, that's the domain it
appends. So while the host might be box12.mydomain.blah, you set the
qualify domain to just mydomain.blah. If you set the same
qualify_domain on all your servers, then the problem goes away.

This does assume that your username on the machine matches the
username of your email address, and that you want bounces coming to
where you send the mail, rather than some third-party server elsewhere
in the world.

I've always found it interesting that mail clients that use SMTP to
deliver, like many graphical clients, never suffer from this at all
becase they always specify the sender as part of the protocol.
Historically mail servers on UNIX have ignored the -f switch to the
sendmail command which does the same thing.

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@gmail.com> http://svana.org/kleptog/