Re: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?

On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 04:02:04PM +0200, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> Additionally, Ubuntu is not more usable for wireless networks than Debian: the
> network configuration only support the useless WEP, no WPA.

I recently bought a System76 laptop with Ubuntu 6.06 pre-installed,
and Network Manager connects to my university's wireless network
without problem.  They only use IEEE 802.1x + Dynamic WEP, but
wpa_supplicant supports TKIP and CCMP too.

> - /etc/network/interfaces listed non-existant devices and because of WPA, a
> manual setup of this file is needed

Not in my experience.  I've handled all network details through
Network Manager on this laptop.

> - something useful like ifplugd was not installed and the user was puzzled by
> the fact that plugging in the network cable did not result in network access

I just plugged an Ethernet cable in, and Network Manager detected it
and switched to it immediately.  I just removed it, and it switched
back to the wireless network.