Re: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?

Lørdag 26 august 2006 15:15, skrev Theodore Tso:
> No support for: (The * are critical)
>
>         * SATA Hard Drives (*)
>         * IPW3945 wireless (*)
>         * Intel AD1981 HD Audio (*)
>         * 3D Graphics support on the ATI FireGL V5200 card
>                 (propietary kernel module)
>         * Verizon 1xEV-DO
>
> Pretty much all of the modern hardware on the T60 is completely
> unsupported by Debian; and most of the above is supported out of the
> box by Unbuntu.

A list of version numbers on important software packages on the test
version of Debian-edu/Skolelinux (The Kubuntu Dapper version number in
parenthesis):

- Kernel 2.16.2  (2.6.15)
- X.org 7.0  (7.0)
- KDE 3.5.4  (3.5.2)
- Firefox 1.5.0.4  (1.5.0.3)
- OpenOffice.org 2.0.3  (2.0.2)

Hopefully people will download the image(s) for testing[1] and give us
feedback to improve the solution[2]:

1. http://ftp.skolelinux.no/cd-etch-test/debian-edu-i386-binary-1.raw
2. http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu

When etch is pretty stabilised in November, three months from now, i'll
install Skolelinux based on etch on my new Thinkpad X60s. Just now we
are improving the laptop support inspired and with reusing work done by
the Unbuntu developers.

Some new software developed by the Ubuntu team is really good from an
end user perspective. We includes that too. Important work is also done
to improve the support for thin clients and diskless workstations with
the project MueKow[3].

3. http://wiki.debian.org/LTSPDevelopment

There are still patching issues that has to be addressed in Ubuntu to
reduce the friction against Debian developers. Debian should be treated
as upstream to certain extent, and more that is done today. I believe
*Ubuntu will gain by that because of their business model is based on
services and tailoring. In general there are still some licencing
issues with proprietary decoders for video and other proprietary
solutions where free software still does not have a counterpart, and we
have to install decoders and such from proprietary vendors (Flash, wmv
support etc.).

In Norway we also promote support for fri software and have a dialog on
governmental level to make support and use of free software as easy as
it is when using proprietary solutions. The government has already told
us that open standards is their goal[4]. The left wing government
elected in 2005 has "increase the use of free software" as their
political platform. They will follow up and strengthen the former right
wing party's policy that was “Proprietary formats will no longer be
acceptable in communication between citizens and government.”

4. http://europa.eu.int/idabc/en/document/4403/469

I hope that we can use the feedbacks and our experiences in user space
to improve Debian and other Debian derivatives.  Gnu/Linux systems has
still a little fraction of the desktop marked. The Skolelinux project
aims to get good solutions on our CDs to the schools. Other distroes
has other aims. The most productive approach is to help each other to
make the best distro in the world for different groups of users.

Best regards

Knut Yrvin