Re: Status of inetd for etch

On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 12:29:48AM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Aug 10, Roger Leigh <rleigh@whinlatter.ukfsn.org> wrote:
> >   - Some inetds automatically listen on v6, whereas others need it
> I call them "broken". I believe that administrators do not expect that
> services are exposed to IPv6 connections unless they are configured this
> way in inetd.conf.

A service can listen:
+on a specific address
  In this case, it won't be exposed to IPv6 anyway.
+on all addresses
  Here, it SHOULD accept IPv6 without any explicit configuration.
  Otherwise, you'll force the admin to look up the way to enable it,
  something that invariably will be done differently for every single
  service.  And I can assure you that 99.9% folks won't bother.  As a
  result, we won't have IPv6.  Not good.
  "All addresses" means "all addresses, be they IPv4 or IPv6" in my book.

At least, the usual services like apache, apache2, sshd or exim4 work this
way.  Bind9 doesn't, and I'm filing a wishlist on it.

Cheers and schtuff,
--
1KB		// Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
		//	Never attribute to stupidity what can be