Re: Status of inetd for etch

On Aug 11, Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> wrote:

> > I call them "broken". I believe that administrators do not expect that
> > services are exposed to IPv6 connections unless they are configured this
> > way in inetd.conf.
> A service can listen:
Does not matter. The behaviour of inetd has always required to
explicitly enable tcp, and changing it would be bad.

> Why, for the love of Cthulhu, does netbase depend on inetd in the first
> place?  Let's see:
Historical reasons.

> netbase:
>     critical network configuration.
>         It has some ancient cruft like /etc/services (which does more ill
>         than good), but /etc/init.d/networking is not something one wants to
>         skip.
Actually /etc/init.d/networking should be moved to the ifupdown package.

> Now, let's see what depends on *-inetd:
Under the current rules these packages are buggy, unless they have a
*specific* reason to depend on a specific inetd.

> It would be good to get rid of inetd from the basic install at all.  Those
No, it would not. UNIX systems are supposed to have an inetd installed.

--
ciao,
Marco