Re: Silly Packaging Problem

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 06:35:03PM -0400, peek wrote:
> place.  It just seems a little cleaner: you could query dpkg for what
> package *every* file came from -- no files left out; and you don't

what about rotated log files? pid files?  lock files?  misc stuff
in /var/cache?

that's not to bash the suggestion of a dpkg-install-file.  in fact
i think it would be a great addition.  better than what i suggested
for the specific problem of dynamically created config files, anyway.

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 06:34:35PM -0400, peek wrote:
> The idea of a glob makes me nervous.  There's been plenty of times I've
> accidentaly gotten extra files listed in a glob to ls or find that I
> didn't intend to.

the proposal as i framed it would do nothing dangerous with the globs.
certainly there would be no passing of said globs to an rm -rf; they
were only to serve as informational to an admin asking "where the heck
did this file come from?"

	sean