Re: Silly Packaging Problem

also sprach Michael S. Peek <peek@tiem.utk.edu> [2006.08.08.2239 +0100]:
> The next time there's an upgrade for courier-authdaemon, won't it
> overwrite my version of /etc/courier/authdaemonrc with it's own?

No way. Packages must *never* overwrite your files in /etc.

> Is this kind of thing addressed in the Debian Policy Manual (and
> I just missed it)?

Well, yes. Section 10.7.

PS: I suggest you look into cfengine2 or parrot, these are designed
to do configuration file changes in an organised fashion. They have
steep learning curves but they're powerful. Doing this with packages
(c.f. dpsyco) is painful, IME.

`. `'`

"the perfect gun is an idealist without any ideal."
                                                  -- mc 900 ft jesus