Re: Silly Packaging Problem

martin f krafft wrote:

also sprach Michael S. Peek <peek@tiem.utk.edu> [2006.08.08.2239 +0100]:
The next time there's an upgrade for courier-authdaemon, won't it
overwrite my version of /etc/courier/authdaemonrc with it's own?

No way. Packages must *never* overwrite your files in /etc.

Excellent.  Thanks for your help Martin, Mr. Fungi.

I have one more packaging question if you guys happen to know the answer
to it.

It seems that Debian doesn't care about keeping up with files created
dynamically via install scripts.  For instance, I can type 'dpkg -S
/etc/papersize', and I get back 'dpkg: /etc/papersize not found.'

Is this correct, or is there a way to assign package ownership of
dynamically-created files?

I'll go read the Policy manual some more now...

Thanks for your help, it's saved me a lot of bewilderment and hours of
wasted effort.

Michael