Re: Centralized darcs

Hello!

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 22:34:41 +0200, John Goerzen wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 09:06:19PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
>> John, are you actually using the workflow you describe for
>> maintenance of Debian packages? Single or team maintenance? Could
>> you elaborate a bit?
>
> I do use darcs for almost all of my Debian packages.  You can find
> my darcs repositories at http://darcs.complete.org/debian/
>
> In darcs, every working copy is a repository, and a branch is just a
> "get", and a commit to the canonical location is just a merge (darcs
> push).

FWIW, the Common Lisp in Debian group [1] (Peter Van Eynde, René Van
Bevern and me) uses Darcs to manage its packages [2].  From the
"private presentation" Peter sent me a long time ago...

The tree is

  upstream -> <package>-upstream

                               branch + debian patches -> <package>

You update <package>-upstream, then pull the changes into <package>.
The debian parts are only in <package>.  darcs-build.sh [3] or
darcs-buildpackage will automaticly create the upstream .orig.tar.gz
file from the <package>-upstream repository.

> I've been using "darcs push", which sends the patch over ssh,
> instead of the e-mail thing since I am the only committer to my
> repos.  But sending a GPG-signed patch bundle can be as easy as
> "darcs send" and David Roundy has posted recipes for processing
> those on the server.

I don't know how Peter and René work, but in my case as I'm the only
one working on my packages I just rsync to Alioth my local
repositories.  In case I've patches for other (i.e. not mine)
repositories, I send them to the corresponding bug [4] or the
CL-Debian mailing list.

Just my 0.02€...

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca