Re: Etch artwork (was: Re: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?)

On 7/31/06, Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org> wrote:
On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 10:37:54AM +0100, Jon Dowland wrote:
> At 1154196833 past the epoch, Michael Banck wrote:
> > It makes no sense to complain about this until we have a
> > good default artwork.  So let's fix that first, then
> > convince the gdm maintainer that we should use this.
>
> Well put. On that note, where is consistent art work being
> coordinated?  I'm interested in helping out here, if
> possible.

We have started trying to coordinate this at

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianDesktopArtwork

What we need first is somebody to make good screenshots of the default
GNOME, KDE (and maybe XFCE) desktops and their default toolkit/window
manager themes (and check back with the packaging teams whether any
changes until etch release are planned to this end), so we can figure
out whether one set of artwork is possible, or (due to big
color/whatever differences) we need several sets.

We already have some good artwork. The problem is where it is and
visual consistency between the different desktop environments. Btw,
some wallpapers will work better in a desktop environment and won't in
others (eg: text or image in the bottom is evil, we usually have
panels there).

I want to make a call for a online meeting to discuss some points with
gdm, kdm, pkg-gnome,
pkg-kde and xfce maintainers. I just need to talk (again) with Joss
about desktop-base
plans and see what he think about my ideas (see below).

Then, decide on some basic things like color (Debian purple? (ugh!)
Blueish? (yay!) Greenish?) and then announce a Call for Artwork through
appropriate channels (to be determined, d-d-a might not cut it)

I agree.

The package integration stuff seems to have happened at least for GNOME
thanks to Gustavo, the KDE team should check what needs to be done on
their side.

We've desktop-base package, that i would like to:
- Move desktop-base from pkg-gnome to a "neutral" alioth project where
at least two members of each group has commit access. I've asked for
the second time debian-desktop group members (2, non-DDs) input about
this yesterday;
- Use to build gdm and kdm themes;
- GNOME, KDE and XFCE splash screens;
- sid wallpaper (common for all environments);
- etch wallpaper (to be easily changed during freeze).

That is what i want to discuss in a online meeting with the parties
involved, this is just what i've in mind, nothing was decided yet.
Feedback about it, specially from the maintainers involved in the
changes is welcome.

The sid->etch wallpaper is a release issue and should be discussed
with the release team too, but it won't hurt change to Etch wallpaper
right before the freeze if required by them. The kdm is maintained by
the pkg-kde group, but the gdm isn't. Actually gdm is configured to
pick a random theme in each login. I think Joey Hess talked with Ryan
Murray about change this in the near future.

FYI, i'm including GNOME and KDE because there are tasks gnome-desktop
and kde-desktop respectively. I've prepared a xfce-desktop task, but
it won't be in d-i beta3 due to tasksel freeze. Hopefully it will be a
possibility preseeding the Etch installer.

regards,
-- stratus