Etch artwork (was: Re: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?)

On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 10:37:54AM +0100, Jon Dowland wrote:
> At 1154196833 past the epoch, Michael Banck wrote:
> > It makes no sense to complain about this until we have a
> > good default artwork.  So let's fix that first, then
> > convince the gdm maintainer that we should use this.
>
> Well put. On that note, where is consistent art work being
> coordinated?  I'm interested in helping out here, if
> possible.

We have started trying to coordinate this at

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianDesktopArtwork

What we need first is somebody to make good screenshots of the default
GNOME, KDE (and maybe XFCE) desktops and their default toolkit/window
manager themes (and check back with the packaging teams whether any
changes until etch release are planned to this end), so we can figure
out whether one set of artwork is possible, or (due to big
color/whatever differences) we need several sets.

Then, decide on some basic things like color (Debian purple? (ugh!)
Blueish? (yay!) Greenish?) and then announce a Call for Artwork through
appropriate channels (to be determined, d-d-a might not cut it)

The package integration stuff seems to have happened at least for GNOME
thanks to Gustavo, the KDE team should check what needs to be done on
their side.

cheers,

Michael