Re: package ownership in Debian

On 7/29/06, Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:
On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 20:00:21 +0000, Gustavo Franco
<gustavorfranco@gmail.com> said:

> On 7/29/06, Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:
>> On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 16:27:26 +0000, Gustavo Franco
>> <gustavorfranco@gmail.com> said:
>>
> I wrote that it could be integrated with PTS, somebody else
> suggested a new header in control. I think subscribe/unsubscribe a
> package (using signed messages) to "LowThresholdNMU" with notes that
> could be queried by mail and included in PTS web interface, would
> do.

        Ah. Sounds like a decent idea.

>> There is nothing wrong with offering to help out with packages
>> either -- and nothing wrong with people forming teams. Rammning it
>> down people's throats won't work, though.

> Don't you see that the team thing is to avoid a random developer
> that have no idea what's going on with the history of that package,
> do the upload ? The packages that aren't under group maintenance and
> will never be, needs more not so strict NMU rules.

        Seems to me you need rules exactly as strict, since the people
 doing the NMU are less familiar with the package, and thus  need to
 exercise more care, and need to bring in the input of the person most
 experienced with the package. Lowering the upload threshold from
 people unfamiliar with the package probably would lead to a drop in
 quality, simply because it is harder to package something one is
 unfamiliar with.

I'm not here for push "new upstream releases" into your packages, for
example. We're talking about bug fixing and better integration, eg:
better hardware support, as Anthony pointed out.

(...)

regards,
-- stratus