Re: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?

"Katrina Jackson" <katrinajackson20@gmail.com> writes:

> On 7/28/06, Otavio Salvador <otavio@debian.org> wrote:
>

>     This is done by Desktop environmnet task. You might give a try to
>     Debian once d-i beta3 goes out and then redo your comments.
>
>     I think would be really good if you could to do that.
>

> I am happy to hear this.  If the Default Desktop environment seems improved
> with beta 3 I will be very happy.

Would be good if you could try it and send us your feedback. Also, do
a installation-report would awesome.

> Here is one question I have:
>
> You say Ubuntu has better publicity, which it does.  But why is this the case?
> I know Mark has more money, but since you have so many programmers, and seem so
> passionate about your OS, why aren't you as successful getting publicity?  I'm
> not accusing anyone.  I guess I just really would like to know:
>
> A.)  Could Debian do anything to get better publicity and change people's
> perceptions.  (For instance, if Debian is so more "well build" then Ubuntu why
> don't the press keep mentioning this?
>
> B.)  Why hasn't more been done?  Why isn't there any major reports by like PC
> World which say "Ubuntu is top 100 products, but man if you want a better
> distro, more well built etc.. you should check out Debian.
>
> Again, I don't want to accuse anyone of anything, but it just doesn't seem you,
> with as many as you have working for you, can generate as much mainstream
> publicity.  I mean from major things like PC World, not just Planet Debian.

I think Debian and Ubuntu has too different target people. Debian
doesn't send CDs to everyone. I do think Ubuntu is great in some ways
and bad in others.

The Marketing thing behind Ubuntu works very well and we should
learn with them. We have a team to deal with Press and that might work
better. Other problem is that most of people that are paid to work on
Debian does that in technical side and not to make marketing actions.

That's my POV. I don't know if you or anyone agree with me.

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: otavio@debian.org      UIN: 5906116