Re: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?

Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Jul 28, Gustavo Franco <gustavorfranco@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Debian stopped innovating?
> Yes. This should be obvious to people who joined the project before 2000.

It's not to me. To pick one particularly solid example, debootstrap was
first released in Jan 2001, as a side-shoot[1] of the d-i development that
was beginning close to the same time, and in the end debootstrap
revolutionised many parts of how Debian systems are built and used,
making chroot usage the norm rather than the exception and leading to
additional things like pbuilder, cowdancer, rpmstrap, xen-tools, and
piuparts, which are all fairly innovative in their own rights.

--
see shy jo

[1] I'm fuzzy about whether I suggested that we needed to break the
    nasty script that built base.tgz out of the boot-floppies Makefile and
    into a tool like debootstrap, or whether AJ just came up with it at
    exactly the right time in parallell.