Re: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?

On 7/28/06, Katrina Jackson <katrinajackson20@gmail.com> wrote:
I keep seeing your arguments about how some people want on;y a 100 MB system
by default.  But you do give an option to have a Desktop, even Laptop
install.  What not make those installs have better support for Desktop and
Laptop Users.  For example, why not have the package updater installed for
those who specifically want to install the desktop environment?  Those who
only want servers or 100MB installs will not be hurt by this move.  Then,
Desktop and Laptop users are happy too.

No you don't. It was just John Goerzen that commented about this and I
and Joey Hess pointed him at some progress on this area.

I and others are working very hard to polish the desktop environment
and laptop related stuff, actually the desktop environment installs
the update-manager and update-notifier, as i wrote some messages ago.

 In short, it would be nice if the Desktop and Laptop environments catered
to Desktop  users.

 I see how Debian is innovative with apt, lintian, etc..  But why not
innovative with the Desktop experience?

Suggestions after your new tests are welcome (hint: a better and
consistent artwork is pending).

 (...)
 PS.  Hardware, Hardware, Hardware, I have to confess, if there was better
hardware support I think most people would be happy.  Hardware supported by
Ubuntu 6 months ago, should be supported by Debian by now.

Do you have a list for comparison? If not, i can point out a some
hardware setup that works on Debian Sarge, our last release and not in
Ubuntu Dapper. Is it Ubuntu's fault? In a lot of cases, no. These days
even Microsoft Windows users are worried about hardware selection and
operating system compatibility.

regards,
-- stratus