Re: Getting rid of circular dependencies, stage 5

Le mercredi 26 juillet 2006 à 11:49 +0100, Ian Jackson a écrit :
> I agree that there are many silly dependencies and they should be
> fixed.

And don't you agree that there have been enough unpredictable bug cases
caused by circular dependencies so that we can try remove all of
unneeded ones? We don't want unpredictable things to happen, and
circular dependencies are a very good way to make things unpredictable.
In the general case, I want bugs to be reproducible.

> But, for example,  foo <-Depends-> foo-data  is not usually an example
> of a silly dependency.

It is. It is useless, as foo-data should only recommend foo. And it is
dangerous. For example, when removing these packages, dpkg gets lost and
may remove one of them before a reverse-dependency of the other one. And
I think it is way simpler to get rid of a useless dependency than fixing
dpkg to handle such cases (which anyway can NOT be done in a predictable
way).

> I think you should try to remove entries from your list when they
> follow that pattern (or others where we know that it makes sense).

These are the easiest ones to fix, so there is no excuse to fix them.
And I have yet to see a circular dependency that makes sense.