Re: new tar behavior and --wildcards

On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 10:02 +0200, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> Le lun 26 juin 2006 21:53, Petr Vandrovec a écrit :
> > Maybe it could be default for tar's POSIX mode, but I have no idea
> > why GNU mode behavior should be changed in any way.
>
> I second that. it's now completely unpossible to do basic packaging
> work, because such a change wasn't planned. I also don't find it wise,
> if we still want to release this year, to introduce such a change
> *now*.
>
> Bdale, I *really* beg you to postpone that default change post-etch.

Is there any idea of the number of packages actually affected by this?
I've harly seen an RC bug flood arise out of this; I've only seen two,
one of which is already pending upload. Probably a few more will arise,
but the fix is trivial.

So I wonder if it would be useful to revert the change, since we have to
change at some point and at this point the effects do not seem to be
quite dramatic. Maybe you have signs indicating otherwise?

Thijs