Re: Uploading packages built against testing?

Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> Am Montag, 29. Mai 2006 10:27 schrieb Frank Küster:
>> Would it be acceptable to build bacula (or any other package with that
>> problem) in an etch environment, or on sid with manually installed
>> libssl from etch, and upload that to unstable?  After checking that it
>> works in unstable, of course.
How about waiting for openssl? As has been pointed out, openssl is
frozen for technical reasons and the new version will enter testing all
right[1].

> No, but you could manually set all stuff in Depends to the needed versions.
> That would also work for the buildds, I guess.
And break at the next opportunity (binNMU, recompile, update in a
hurry...). Such hacks are almost certainly a bad idea, in fact John had
a complaint of similar type about the bacula packaging from before he
took over.

> PS: I bravely accept some flames for this suggestion...
Oh, if you insist: To be frank, maintainers having such ideas are bad
enough, but you'd better have a good excuse for handing them out as advice.

Kind regards

T.

1. http://bjorn.haxx.se/debian/testing.pl?package=openssl
--