Re: [Debconf-discuss] list of valid documents for KSPs

Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

> But then again people could lookup say mexican IDs and visas before
> going to a KSP in mexico so they have some clue what it should look
> like.

Actually, in the present case, I believe it turns out that Martin
Krafft's ID was exactly what it claimed to be, an identification card
issued by the Transnational Republic, which is not a fake-ID shop, but
is also not an actual government.

So if anything, the problem is *not* that we have trouble
distinguishing genuine credentials from forged ones.

No.  The problem is that people have trouble distinguishing genuine
*nations* from forged ones.

So all those people who believe there is a country known as the
"Transnational Republic", should rightly have egg on their faces.

Fixing this problem, if indeed it is a problem, does not require us to
learn better how to distinguish genuine credentials from forged ones.
It might, however, require giving an atlas to Debian developers who
apparently think that the Transnational Republic is a real country.

Thomas