Re: [Debconf-discuss] Re: Please revoke your signatures from Martin Kraff's keys

On Thursday 25 May 2006 15:26, Mike Hommey wrote:
> On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 04:16:24PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava
<srivasta@acm.org> wrote:
> >         The KSP was cracked,  People signed a key without ever looking
> >  at proper, official ID. You can try and save face by calling it
> >  whatever you want, but that does not change the reality.
>
> Manoj, how do *you* ensure the ID that someone presents you is a proper,
> official ID ?
>
> I'm pretty sure we can find official IDs that look so lame that you'd think
> it's a fake (the old french ones could be good example, and i know people
> who still use that as an ID, though they wouldn't come to a KSP ; they
> don't even know what a GPG/PGP key is).

Other good examples would be IDs issued to people under age 21 in the state of
Washington (printed the wrong direction on the card), Oregon IDs issued prior
to the late 1990s (exact year depends on DMV location issuing), which were a
piece of cardboard with a form printed on it, and all the data typed in with
an electric typewriter, with your photo glued to the upper left corner and a
hologram someplace on it, laminated.  The new Oregon IDs (issued after 2004)
are widely mistaken as fake IDs since they're nearly identical to the
California IDs: Prior to then, Oregon had a policy of making sure their ID
did not look like any other state's ID (if they wanted to update the ID to
make it harder to copy, they should have made the hologram part the photo of
Mt. Hood with the word OREGON on it instead of switching to making poor
counterfeits of California's IDs).

That being said, DMV can have my Not Californian Looking(tm) ID back around
the time they pry it from my cold, dead fingers or I surrender it at the BC
Ministry of Transportation and Highways (by that time, the backwater country
that thinks Oregon and California shouldn't have an international boundary
between them can kiss my ass).

--
Paul Johnson
Jabber: Because it's time to move forward  http://ursine.ca/Ursine:Jabber