Re: [Debconf-discuss] list of valid documents for KSPs

On 27 May 2006, Thomas Bushnell spake thusly:

> Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:
>
>> But then again people could lookup say mexican IDs and visas before
>> going to a KSP in mexico so they have some clue what it should look
>> like.
>
> Actually, in the present case, I believe it turns out that Martin
> Krafft's ID was exactly what it claimed to be, an identification
> card issued by the Transnational Republic, which is not a fake-ID
> shop, but is also not an actual government.
>
> So if anything, the problem is *not* that we have trouble
> distinguishing genuine credentials from forged ones.
>
> No.  The problem is that people have trouble distinguishing genuine
> *nations* from forged ones.
>
> So all those people who believe there is a country known as the
> "Transnational Republic", should rightly have egg on their faces.

        I see you have never been in a large key signing party.  There
 is a certain expectation of trust, since no one can actrually detect
 delibrate forgeries. There items I used to check on were the
 photograph, seplling of the name, expiration date for the document,
 and, optionally, age.  Often foreign documents have strange names
 (and the propensity for some languages (like sanskrit or german) to
 concatenate words make for document titles to be unintelligible, so
 often were not looked at -- since good faith expectations were that
 people were not trying to game the system.

        If people start bringing in forged documents,  no amount of
 caution on part of laypeople like most software developers is proof
 against such deception.  If such deception is accepted behaviour, we
 may as well throw out thetrust metric, and let /. upload packages
 into Debian.

        manoj

--
"What people have been reduced to are mere 3-D representations of
their own data." -- Arthur Miller