Re: Possible conflict with XFree 4.5

gustavo halperin dijo [Sun, Apr 16, 2006 at 01:40:42PM +0300]:
> >>I think that we have a problem when the common library between XFree and
> >>/usr/lib are update in /usr/lib.
> >>I currently have XFree  4.5, when the library libfontconfig1 was update
> >>to version 2.3.2-1 was also updated
> >>the file  libfontconfig.so to the version 1.0.4 but in the XFree
> >>(/usr/X11R6/lib/) this library still be the version 1.
> >>The problem came we we use programs like Gimp that must at least version
> >>1.0.2  of this library. I solve this
> >>problem by link the libfontconfig in /usr/X11R6/lib to the newest
> >>library in /usr/lib. That is the solution or that
> >>is a Bug in Debian System ??
> >
> >I assume that you're installing XFree86 4.5 by yourself, since it wasn't
> >packaged for Debian.  In that case, local installation conflicts are
> >your problem to sort out.
>
> I see,  you are absolutely right.  Thank you for you explanation.

Hmh... I'll jump in - Daniel's reply was probably on the wrong tone,
but the answer is perfectly right - When you choose a distribution
(like Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, SuSE or any other), you choose the
carefully crafted work of integration of thousands of packages. Of
course, for most packages you can decide to roll your own and live
with it - But in the case of X... Well, it's one of the packages in
which most other packages depend, and it's one of the least trivial
ones to get right. You can be almost sure that many things will break
if you prefer to use an X server not provided by Debian - So the
answer is right, why would you want to use XFree now?

Greetings,

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23