Re: O: Gnus -- A versatile News and mailing list reader for Emacsen.

On 24 Apr 2006, Ben Pfaff stated:

> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> writes:
>
>> On 24 Apr 2006, Thomas Bushnell said:
>>> The version is not the only documentation.  The "dfsg" tag in
>>> version names means not "this is the upstream dfsg version", it
>>> means "this is the Debian-modified version, where the only
>>> modifications made were those we did to make the package meet the
>>> DFSG."
>>
>> Sorry, that string in the upstream version does not convey
>> that to me at all. It makes me think that larsi released a second
>> version compatible of the DFSG.
>
> How about adding a file named, e.g., README.dfsg or
> README.changes-from-upstream to the modified .orig.tar.gz version
> pointing out what has been done?  A version number or a package
> name is easy to misinterpret, but adding a file with an
> explanation should be unambiguous (although it would be possible
> to miss it).

        There are all kinds of indicators once you have downloaded or
 installed the packages (description, readme, copyright, changelog).
 But that happens afterwards, and only if you are reading the
 internals. A pretty small subset.

        Names have connotations or associations. Names have power.

        manoj
--
Syntactic sugar causes cancer of the semicolon. Epigrams in
Programming, ACM SIGPLAN Sept. 1982